Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Classic Victoria Sponge Cake
A traditional British sponge cake and personal favourite of Queen Victoria.
For the sponge:
- 100g butter/margerine
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100g self raising flour
- 1 drop of vanilla essence
- 50g butter/margerine
- 100g icing sugar
- Any one of:
- 2 drops of liquid flavouring;
- 1tsp of cocoa powder
- lemon/orange zest, grated
Method (click to mark as completed)
To make the sponge:
- Grease two 180mm straight sided baking tins. Line the bottoms with buttered greaseproof paper.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat at medium speed until fluffy (1-2 minutes).
- Reduce speed. Gradually add the eggs, then the vanilla, then the flour. Increase to medium speed once the ingredients start to incorporate.
- Put the mixture into the baking tins. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 25 minutes. The surface should be golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Turn one sponge upside down. Put a layer of raspberry jam on top. Put the other sponge on top of the jam. You can replace the raspberry jam with other fillings, like buttercream.
To make buttercream:
- Add flavourings a little at a time, and taste before adding any more.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat at medium speed till fluffy (1-2 minutes).
Completed steps (click to remove last step)