2 August 2021
- 90g Plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Caster sugar
- 75g Unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 3 Large free range eggs, beaten
- To decorate Edible gold leaf
- 50g Butter
- 2 tbsp Gold syrup
- 2 tbsp Soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 450ml Double cream (not straight from the fridge)
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 tsp or 1 Vanilla bean paste or vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped
- 100g Good quality dark chocolate
- 30g Unsalted butter
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Gold syrup
- Step 1Preheat your over to 200ºC.
- Step 2On a sheet of baking paper, sift the flour, sugar and pinch of salt into a heap.
- Step 3In a pan, heat 220ml of cold water and butter over a medium heat until all of the butter has melted. Once melted, increase the heat and bring to a vigorous boil.
- Step 4Using the baking paper as a funnel, tip your flour mixture into the water and butter and beat the mixture quickly with a wooden spoon until a thick paste is formed.
- Step 5Add the eggs to the mixture one by one, until a smooth, glossy mixture is formed.
- Step 6Lightly grease a baking sheet and spoon small balls of the mixture on the baking sheet.
- Step 7Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Step 8Once cooked, pierce the bottom of each ball with a knife to allow the steam to escape. Allow to cool.
- Step 9 To make the filling, pour the golden syrup, soft brown sugar, butter and salt in a small pan and gently heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Step 10Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Step 11In a bowl, whip together the cream and icing sugar until it is firm and holds it's shape.
- Step 12Then fold in the vanilla paste and salted caramel and set aside to chill for 10 minutes Lightly whip the mixture again and spoon it into a piping bag.
- Step 13Insert the nozzle into the hold of the profiterole and gently fill with the caramel cream. Stack them on a plate and drizzle with caramel.