A sweat treat the whole family will enjoy.
- 3 Large free range egg whites, at room temperature
- 150g Caster sugar
- Step 1 reheat your oven to 120ºC. Line two baking trays with baking paper (meringue can stick to greaseproof paper and foil).
- Step 2Put the egg whites into a large clean glass or metal mixing bowl.
- Step 3Using a hand blender with the whisk attachment, beat them on low speed until the mixture resembles a fluffy cloud and stands up in stiff peaks when the whisk is lifted.
- Step 4Continue whisking using the high speed and start to add the caster sugar, a bit at a time.
- Step 5Continue beating for 3-4 seconds between each addition of the caster sugar.
- Step 6Be careful not to over beat the mixture. The mixture should be thick and glossy.
- Step 7Using two dessertspoons, scoop 16 evenly sized ball shaped meringues onto the baking paper, leaving plenty of space between them.
- Step 8Bake for 1-1 1/2; hours until the meringues are pale, golden-brown, crisp and lift away easily from the baking paper.
- Step 9Turn the oven off then open the oven door slightly and leave the meringues to cool inside the oven.