Hot Cross Buns
15-20 minutes (+ 2 hours for proving)
1 hour (3 hours with proving)
- 400gplain flour
- 3/4 tspsalt
- 60gcaster sugar
- 1 1/2 tspmixed spice
- 6gdried yeast
- 1/2orange zest
- 1small free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 90gmixed dried fruit
- 40gplain flour
- Step 1Firstly, sieve the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast into a mixing bowl.
- Step 2Next, warm the milk and butter in a microwave to around 45C, then stir in the orange zest.
- Step 3Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the milk mixture along with the egg and mix for around 1-2 minutes. Once a dough has formed add the mixed fruit and mixed spice then mix again for a further 1–2 minutes.
- Step 4Tip the dough out onto a well-floured surface, knead the dough by pushing the dough out with the bottom of your hand and then folding back over on itself. Turn slightly and repeat, keep doing this for around 5-10 minutes until the dough is springy to touch when pressed with your finger.
- Step 5Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in the bowl and cover with lightly oiled cling film. Leave to prove in a warm place for around 1-1 ½ hours until doubled in size.
- Step 6In the meantime, take the grill plate out of your air fryer and place a piece of baking paper that is the size of the plate on top. Make the mix for the crosses by combining 40g plain flour and 40ml water together and then transfer into a piping bag. Also, make the egg wash by lightly beating together 1 free range egg yolk and 1 tsp milk.imageSpecial Offername Satisfry Air & Grill Multi CookerWas £164.99 Now £133.98sku 26520
- Step 7Once the dough has proved, again, tip it out onto a floured surface. Knock back and then divide into 9 equal pieces, shaping each of these into a ball and placing evenly spaced onto the lined grill plate. Cover with the oiled cling film from before and again leave to prove for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
Step 8Select the bake function on your air fryer and set the temperature to 185ºC and change the time to 40 minutes. Brush the buns with the egg wash then pipe a cross on each bun. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden-brown.
Yes you can with the Satisfry Air & Grill Multi Cooker
Cook with confidence even if you’ve no time to lose. The Russell Hobbs Satisfry Air & Grill Multi Cooker has an Air Fry function plus seven cooking functions including slow-cook, roasting and baking to deliver the tasty meals you love, with less fuss, less mess and little or no oil required.