A Christmas classic. Make your own Christmas cake this year for all the family to share at a get together.
- 1kg Mixed dried fruit (any blend of raisins, sultana's, currants, mixed peel, dried cranberries, cherries, chopped dried apricots, dates, dried figs or dried pineapple
- Preference Brewed tea plus extra for oranges
- 2 Zest and juice of oranges
- 2 or 4 Lemons or clementines
- 250g Unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- 250g light, soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Eggs
- 200g Plain flour
- 2 tsp Mixed spice
- 100g Whole or flaked almonds chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or brazil nuts (optional)
- Step 1In a large bowl, add your dried fruit mixture, citrus zest, tea and juice. Mix thoroughly, cover and leave to marinate overnight.
- Step 2Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- Step 3Using a deep cake tin approximately 20cm round, butter and double line the tin.
- Step 4Wrap the outside of the tin using newspaper and secure in place with string.
- Step 5In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Once combined, beat in the eggs one by one.
- Step 6In the same bowl, add in the flour, mixed spice, nuts and your soaked dried fruit mixture.
- Step 7Stir everything together until well combined and then pour the mixture to the cake tin.
- Step 8Bake the cake for approximately for 1 1/2 hours.
- Step 9Reduce your oven temperature to 140ºC and loosely cover the top of the cake with foil and bake for a further 45 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Step 10Decorate with icing!