4 August 2021
Serve with crusty white bread and butter or fresh green vegetables.
- 1200g Diced stewing steak
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- 2 White onions, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Brown sauce
- 500g, cut into approx. 1 cm dice Potato, peeled
- 400g, cut into approx. 1 cm dice Carrot, peeled
- 5 sticks Celery
- 600ml Beef stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- To taste Salt and pepper
- Step 1 Add the carrot and potato to the cooking pot.
- Step 2 In the frying pan, heat half of the oil. Fry the onions until golden brown then put them into the cooking pot.
- Step 3 Put the flour into the bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the beef and mix together making sure the beef is well coated.
- Step 4 Heat the remaining oil and fry the beef in batches until golden brown. Drain, and then add it to the cooking pot.
- Step 5 Cut one stick of celery in half. Place the bay leaves, thyme and rosemary between the two halves of celery then tie the two halves together using a piece of the string.
- Step 6 Add the remaining ingredients and cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours or LOW for 8-12 hours.
- Step 7 Serve with crusty white bread and butter or fresh green vegetables.
- Step 8 Tip - To make this recipe gluten free, remove the plain flour. Use corn flour and water to thicken the casserole if necessary at the end of cooking.