Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Get into the festive spirit with this rich, traditional British Christmas pudding!
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 100g shredded suet
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 50g blanched almonds, chopped
- 100g seedless raisins
- 100g currants
- 100g sultanas
- 50g mixed peel
- 50g prunes, stoned and chopped
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 45ml rum
- 150ml stout or ale
- 2 eggs
Method (click to mark as completed)
- In a bowl, sieve together the flour and spices. Add the suet, breadcrumbs, lemon rind, sugar, nuts and dried fruit.
- Warm the treacle in a pan until it becomes runny. Add the rum, stout and lemon juice. Pour over the eggs and mix together. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly, cover and stand overnight.
- Add a little milk if the mixture has stiffened. Preheat the slow cooker for 20 minutes. Turn the mixture into a buttered 1 litre pudding basin or a basin which comfortably fits in the slow cooker without raising the lid and cover with foil. Stand in the slow cooker and add enough boiling water to come up the sides of the basin.
- Cook on HIGH for 13 hours. Allow to become cold.
- Remove foil and cover with greaseproof paper and fresh foil.
- Serve warm with plain or brandy custard.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)