Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Chicken, Courgette And Butternut Squash Lasagne
There is nothing more satisfying than adding a modern and healthy twist to a classic dish.
- 6 chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 2 large courgettes
- 1 butternut squash
- 9g paprika
- 10- 14 lasagne sheets
- 300g grated cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 120g plain flour, sieved
- 120g butter
- 1L milk
- 200ml double cream
- 3g English mustard
- ½ whole nutmeg, ground
Method (click to mark as completed)
Method (6-8 Portions)
To make the béchamel:
- Heat the milk in a pan, and in a separate pan, carefully heat the butter without browning it. Stir the flour into the butter stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat. The flour should be a golden colour.
- Next, use a ladle to add a little of the heated milk to the butter/flour mixture stirring continuously until the milk has been combined. Continue until all of the milk has been added.
- Stir in the cream, mustard and nutmeg then check the seasoning and remove the pan from the heat.
To make the lasagne:
- Spiralize the courgettes and sweet potatoes with the Spiral slice blade. Cut the ribbons into 5-6 cm pieces.
- Build up your lasagne in layers. Start with a little béchamel sauce in the bottom of an over proof tray.
- Place a layer of lasagne sheets over that followed by a layer of chicken, butternut squash, courgette and more sauce and sprinkle with paprika. Then add another layer of lasagne sheets followed by the chicken, and continue in this way until the chicken, butternut squash and courgette have been used up. The top layer should consist of a layer of lasagne sheets and béchamel sauce, sprinkled with the cheese.
- Cook in an oven on 175ºC for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Tom’s Tip: Halloumi to replace the chicken.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)