Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Easier than you'd think, this Margherita pizza recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser - and a great recipe to cook up with friends and family.
- Grated mozzarella
- Desired toppings
For the dough –
- 220g warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 400g strong white bread flour
- 5g yeast
For the tomato sauce-
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ bunch fresh basil
Method (click to mark as completed)
Makes: 4 pizzas
Preparation time: allow 1-2 hours
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes
- For the dough add the flour, salt and sugar, to the food processor bowl. Stir the yeast into the warm water and combine with the olive oil. Whilst blending add the liquid slowly until the dough starts to form.
- Tip the dough out on to a floured surface and knead the dough for 10-15 minutes until it becomes elastic in texture. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft but with no colour. Stir in the tomato puree and tomato ketchup and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and seasoning then turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool blend using the hand blender.
- Put the dough back onto the surface and knock back, divide into 4 equal amounts and cover again. Allow to prove for a further 45 minutes.
- Once proved roll each ball out into a pizza base approx. 20 cm in size. Spoon some of the sauce on top and cover with the grated mozzarella. Add desired toppings and then cook in the oven for 12-18 minutes.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)