Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Even your food can count as Christmas decorations this year!
For the salted caramel filling:
- 90g plain flour
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 75g unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
- Edible gold leaf to decorate
For the chocolate sauce:
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp. golden syrup
- 2 tbsp. soft light brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 450ml double cream (not straight from the fridge)
- 2 tbsp. icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped
- 100g good-quality dark chocolate
- 30g unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp. golden syrup
Method (click to mark as completed)
- Preheat your over to 200°C.
- On a sheet of baking paper, sift the flour, sugar and pinch of salt into a heap.
- In a pan, heat 220ml of cold water and butter over a medium heat until all of the butter has melted. Once melted, increase the heat and bring to a vigorous boil.
- Using the baking paper as a funnel, tip your flour mixture into the water and butter and beat the mixture quickly with a wooden spoon until a thick paste is formed.
- Add the eggs to the mixture one by one, until a smooth, glossy mixture is formed.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and spoon small balls of the mixture on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Once cooked, pierce the bottom of each ball with a knife to allow the steam to escape. Allow to cool.
- To make the filling, pour the golden syrup, soft brown sugar, butter and salt in a small pan and gently heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whip together the cream and icing sugar until it is firm and holds it's shape.
- Then fold in the vanilla paste and salted caramel and set aside to chill for 10 minutes
- Lightly whip the mixture again and spoon it into a piping bag.
- Insert the nozzle into the hold of the profiterole and gently fill with the caramel cream. Stack them on a plate and drizzle with caramel.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)