Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Christmas Trimming Salad
Make a delicious seasonal salad.
- Pickled pear recipe
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 1 dried red chilli
- Peel of ½ lemon
- 1-2 pears, cored and cut into 2cm cubes
- 40 prunes, stones removed
- 40 thin slices of pancetta
- Mixed leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
Method (click to mark as completed)
- Place all of the picked pear ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir continuously until the sugar has fully dissolved and cook for a few moments. Place the pears in a heatproof bowl and pour over the vinegar mixture. Leave to cool and then refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the pears and save the remaining liquid. Add the leftover mixture to a saucepan and allow to simmer. Set aside and cool.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Stuff each prune with a piece of pear and then wrap with a piece of pancetta. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until bacon is cooked. Leave to cool.
- In a bowl add the salad leaves, separately mix together a few spoons of oil, some of the pear cooking liquor and salt and pepper, taste and adjust accordingly. Dress the salad leaves with the dressing and transfer to a plate, add 4-5 of the prunes, sprinkle with some pomegranate seeds and serve.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)