Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
A Christmas classic. Make your own Christmas cake this year for all the family to share at a get together.
- 1kg mixed dried fruit (any blend of raisins, sultanas, currants, mixed peel, dried cranberries, glacé cherries, chopped dried apricots, dates, dried figs or dried pineapple)
- Brewed tea, plus extra for feeding zest and juice 2 oranges
- 2 lemons or 4 clementine's
- 250g pack unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- 250g light, soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100g whole or flaked almonds chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or brazil nuts (optional)
Method (click to mark as completed)
- In a large bowl, add your dried fruit mixture, citrus zest, tea and juice. Mix thoroughly, cover and leave to marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Using a deep cake tin approximately 20cm round, butter and double line the tin. Wrap the outside of the tin using newspaper and secure in place with string.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Once combined, beat in the eggs one by one.
- In the same bowl, add in the flour, mixed spice, nuts and your soaked dried fruit mixture. Stir everything together until well combined and then pour the mixture to the cake tin.
- Bake the cake for approximately for 1½ hours.
- Reduce your oven temperature to 140°C and loosely cover the top of the cake with foil and bake for a further 45 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Decorate with icing!
Completed steps (click to remove last step)