Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Vegan Hot Cross Buns
The classic, made vegan. Apple sauce and soya milk replace the eggs and cows milk in this recipe, and the result is nothing short of delicious. Whether you're vegan or not, this recipe is definitely worth a try!
- 500g strong white flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground mixed spice
- 3 tbsp. caster sugar
- 7g dried yeast
- 100g currsnts
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 orange, zest
- 50g apple sauce
- 120ml soya milk, luke warm
- 130g water, luke warm
- 30ml olive oil
For the crosses-
- 2 tbsp. plain flour
- 2 tbsp. cold water
Method (click to mark as completed)
- In a bowl, sift the strong white flour, salt, cinnamon and ground mixed spice.
- In a separate bowl, use the whisk attachment on a Russell Hobbs hand Blender, to whisk together the soya milk, water, olive oil, lemon zest, orange zest and apple sauce. Once mixed, stir in the yeast. Make a well in the flour mixture then slowly pour the wet mixture into it. Mix the two together until a sticky dough is formed.
- Place the dough onto a floured work surface and work it to form a ball. Knead the dough by using the heel of your hand to first press down on the dough and then push it away from you. This action will stretch the dough. Form it back into a ball shape, give it a quarter of a turn and repeat. Continue to do this for 10-15 minutes until the dough becomes elastic in texture. Form the dough into a ball then place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead in the currants until they are fully incorporated. Make the dough into a ball and then return to the greased bowl, cover and leave to rest in a warm place again for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl and knock the dough back by folding it repeatedly in on itself using the heels of your hands, until it is smooth and all the air is removed. Form 6-8 balls from the dough and place on a greased tray. Cover and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC. Mix together the plain flour with a little water to form a paste. Using a piping bag, pipe this paste to form crosses on the top of the buns.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)