Perfect for kids - this home made tomato ketchup is low in salt and sugar but just as tasty as Heinz!
Makes: approx. 750ml
1. Finely chop the onion and press the garlic, wash the tomatoes thoroughly and carefully remove the eye with a knife, chop into a rough dice.
2. In a pan put the olive oil and heat slightly, add the onions, garlic and chilli and cook until softened with no colour, add the tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken and become well cooked.
3. Leave to cool slightly and carefully blend in a jug blender, pass the sauce through a fine sieve three times to make sure its smooth and all the bits are removed.
4. In a clean pan add the vinegar, honey, treacle and tomato sauce, place on the heat and simmer until it thickens to a ketchup consistency, check seasoning and leave to cool.
5. Store in sterilized bottles or jars and keep in the fridge.