News
Jun12010

25 Years and Still Loved

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the K2 kettle, Russell Hobbs is searching for much loved products from the past.

If you have a Russell Hobbs appliance which is more than 25 years old and still in use we would love to hear from you, please contact russellhobbs@cirkle.co.uk with details of your much loved product and your contact information, including location.

Four decades of K2: The retirement of “Reg” the Kettle

We thought we would drop you a line to say that we are planning the retirement of Reg, our faithful Russell Hobbs kettle, on September 1st 2009. He will be 30 years old then and his dribbling spout (it’s an age thing) means that it would be better for all if he did not continue to perform active service. First bought by my wife as she prepared to go off to university in 1979 he has boiled, we would guess, some 50,000 times. He has comforted us and our kids with hot water bottles in winter and provided countless cups of tea at the most important moments of our lives. Exam results, engagement, wedding, births and deaths not to mention the everyday humdrum of going to work or relaxing on a Saturday afternoon. He has been a faithful servant and never once let us down.Mr and Mrs D of Cambridge.

We supplied Mr and Mrs D with a replacement kettle, the K5, which they are delighted with! “Reg” the kettle has since been restored and is on display in our visitor centre at Russell Hobbs.

Written by Russell HobbsPosted in News
June 1st, 2010 at 13:51

59 Comments

1. Catherine Paine
    Posted July 6, 2010 at 10:31 am | Permalink

I also used to own a K2 kettle. It was given as a wedding present as well as a Russell Hobbs Ceramic Percolator in 1973. It had a pale green lid and was white with a pale green flower design. When we split up he had the kettle and I had the percolator. I hardly ever used the percolator during my first marriage but my second and present husband used it lots. I even purchased a hand coffee bean grinder for his birthday to freshly grind his own coffee.

When we moved 8 years ago, the percolator was carefully packed and survived the move. It was given its’ own corner shelf in the kitchen. One day I heard a crash and the percolator was in pieces on the tiled kitchen floor. MY husband was devastated. He had tried to remove a nail from the wall next to the shelf without first moving the percolator. His hand had slipped and knocked it off the shelf – typical man!

We have purchased coffee makers since but he says nothing comes anywhere near to the taste of my Russell Hobbs percolator. I just don’t understand why R H stopped making them. They were such a popular wedding gift during the 70′s. I just wish there were a shop I could purchase one from with confidence.

• Barbara
      Posted February 16, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I have a Russell Hobbs ceramic coffee percolator with matching cream jug and sugar bowl in a powder blue colour, which I purchased in either 1959 or 1960. I would dearly love to find it a new home. It is sitting on a shelf in my kitchen. Unfortunately my partner died so it is not at risk of getting knocked off by DIY !…. If you are interested please reply to me.

• Russell Hobbs
        Posted March 23, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Hi Barbara,

Many thanks for your comment on the Russell Hobbs blog. What a lovely story that you still have a Russell Hobbs ceramic coffee percolator with matching jug and sugar bowl after all these years!

A member of the Russell Hobbs team will be in contact with you shortly you discuss this opportunity further.

Many thanks

The Russell Hobbs team

• keith Thomas
      Posted February 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Hi I have a R H Perculator which still works, but is in the attic as we cannot purchase a replacement Glass Knob. We had to buy another machine. Perculators are much better than other coffee machines why not as popular as in the USA Beggars Belief. RH Should make them again

• Ray Fryer
      Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Catherine,
      My Wife and I also recieved a RH Wedgewood Perculater for a wedding present back in the 1970′s but alas when we moved house we lost the power lead to this perc’. The model number is CP2 with a cream body..gold bottom segment and a blue anenome painted on the cream body.
      Now, if you have broken yours and you still have the cable are you willing to sell it to me?
      As they say behind every dark cloud is a silver lining. Mmmm…maybe?
      Thanking you in anticipation as I have tried everywhere to locate one.
      Regards
      Ray

2. Jean Williams – Australia
    Posted July 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I was stationed with my husband in Rheindalen, a military base close to Moenchen Gladbach in 1971. In that year my husband purchased Carmen heated rollers, from the NAAFI store, for me as a present.

They were of good value for subsequently they have travelled around the world with me and I still use them at my home in Penrith, Australia.

It just goes to show that if you buy a product with a good name and care for it, it will last.

3. Susan Dritsas - Zurich
    Posted July 9, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

We acquired our K2 kettle as a wedding present in December 1977 when we married in Salisbury. It accompanied us on our move to Athens, Greece a month later, where it was considered to be a novelty. Not many people had seen an electric kettle before and thought it a much more efficient alternative to heating water in a saucepan.

Even during the long hot Greek summers we were always grateful for a cup of tea! Then it was time for a change of climate and our next major house move took us to Switzerland where we have lived ever since. I can’t begin to count the number of times our kettle has been in use here to provide a warming cuppa, hot water bottles, warm water for babies’ bottles etc and it is still going strong.

Now however K2 is beginning to show signs of age and we feel its ready for a much-deserved rest. We will miss its friendly and familiar shape in our kitchen and can only hope whichever model we choose to replace it will serve us as well.

4. Janice Boyce - Fareham
    Posted July 9, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

We received our K2R kettle as a wedding present 31 years ago and it has been in daily use since. What a brilliant present: it still has the original element and the chrome remains in excellent condition. After all this time it is now a well loved member of the family.

5. Dave Meyer
    Posted August 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Our K2 has sat proudly on the kitchen worktop, a dutiful slave to our coffee and tea culture since 1966 when it was given as a gift to my mother by her father on taking her first bed-sit in Edinburgh. Since then it has travelled far and wide, and despite many careless drops and bashes, has endured a million boils.

2 Days ago a tragic accident befell the Meyer family. An over-pressurised tap was used to fill our beloved K2, with an un-noticed drop of water being carelessly left in the plug. The resulting bang was the final death nell for our cherished companion. A visit to our very friendly electrician, whilst extolling the virtues of this classic, was rewarded only with the sad news that replacement parts are no longer available and we must say goodbye to our faithful friend.

The rest of the day was spent in mournful mood as we trolled the great electrical houses of Currys, Comet and such looking for a worthy replacement. However, apparently they just don’t make them like they used to. My mother is inconsolable.

Can you help???

6. Jacquelyn Elias Taylor - Penarth
    Posted August 9, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I am writing to tell you about our much loved vintage machine which we think is more than 25 years old. It is a Russell Hobbs Cafe Espresso coffee maker 3331 series, model number 3332.

This originally belonged to my parents-in-law and was given to us following my father-in-law’s death 10 years ago. My husband can still remember the ‘ceremony’ of after dinner coffee making by his father (apparently the only ‘cooking’ he ever did).

Our daughters love the retro look of this machine now and the excellent coffee it still makes. In this ‘Starbucks’ age it is a reminder that a cup of cappuccino is not a new invention!

We still have the original instructions and a wonderful hand typed ‘supplementary instructions’ which we think was written by my father-in-law, this includes advice on what milk is best for frothiness – sterilised milk apparently!! Needless to say we haven’t tried that.

7. Family friend of Edgar Stott – Halifax
    Posted August 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I’m writing on behalf of a family friend, Edgar Stott – aged 87. Edgar purchased the kettle (K2 Vapour Controlled) over 40 years ago and he still uses it today. It has worked without fault or interruption during that period.

Edgar said: “In the years I was brought up in there was a saying that if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it and if it isn’t worn out, don’t replace it.”

8. Chantal Arnaud
    Posted August 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

It stopped last year. Just filled it up as I had for the last ??? years (30 or more). I had bought it as a young student girl – I originally came to England for a year abroad where I finally stayed for more than 15 years. It was my bit of Britain here in France where I returned. Can’t bring myself to part with it and wait for a replacement part from somewhere, sometime.

9. Mary from Belgium
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

We bought our K2 kettle from Peterkin in Park Gate near by Southampton in 1975.
    He is still working but leaking by the spout. After all, he has endured more than a 100.000 boils.
    Last month we bought a new K5.

The old K2 is a collectors item, we still have it for putting dry flowers in.

10. Elizabeth Teverson
    Posted October 27, 2010 at 10:07 am | Permalink

My kettle was purchased in Jan 1979 for £14.75 from eastern electricity. Only one ever used, still going strong and polished up a treat!! I still have the receipt and swing ticket!

Although young family members grow up, leave home and set up on their own with modern new designs for kettles etc, do I envy them – not a bit. I love my Russell Hobbs Kettle, the feel of it, the look of it, and the promises it offers – a cup of tea and welcome home!!

11. carol hodgetts
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

CONGRATULATIONS RUSSELL HOBBS K2 KETTLE
    ON YOUR 50TH ANNIVERSARY

It was our 50th Wedding Anniversary on 2nd April 2010. As we started our married life in a caravan for the first 3 years (no electricity in those days) we think our K2 kettle was purchased in 1963. It has served us well over the years. I am surprised it has lasted so long as my husband drinks tea non-stop.
    Our K2 kettle has the same problem as “Reg” he dribbles a lot and he has lost one of his rubber feet but inspite of this still faithfully reliable as ever, since the day we bought him.
    I still love the design of the K2 as much as the day I chose it all those years ago. It still holds its own with todays kettles.

Mr. & Mrs L Hodgetts

12. Hazel from Australia
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

My parents came to visit us from Scotland in 1975 and bought us our very first electric kettle which was a Russell Hobbs. I have loved it so much that I have bought it for other people for wedding presents. Sadly on the 9th december 2010 my kettle died. My husband tried to revive it by taking it appart but alas the element had burnt out. He said I’m sorry love but we will have to bury it and buy a new one. After 35 years I felt like part of the family had died because this is the only kettle I have owned.

• Judy Truby
      Posted January 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I can understand fully how you felt. I pray everyday that mines keeps on going.

13. Iris Sitalsing
    Posted December 15, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

In January 1979 I moved from The Netherlands to Epsom,Surrey to start life as an expat. Intrigued by my neighbour’s electric kettle, I purchased a Russell Hobbs, the empress amongst kettles according to my neighbour. I still own the same kettle and it has travelled with us to many countries: Australia,Nigeria,Syria,France and Norway. It was the last thing to be packed and the first thing to be unpacked by the movers. Last Saturday my daughter’s boyfriend hinted to my sadness that it was time to move on and get a replacement,because the spout is leaking once the kettle is descaled.Of course the new one has to be another ‘Hobbs’ as we fondly call her. And that’s how I came upon your website,only to discover that she is now history.

14. Gillian
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Dear Russell,

I was given my mum’s Russell Hobbs Cafe Espresso coffee maker model 3331, which was bought by my father for my late mother, since she loved the capuccino of the late ’80s in fancy London restaurants, which my father had taken her to on many occasions.

I recently repatriated it from my father’s loft after it being left in storage since 1993.

It was packed and shipped in my hand luggage back to Hong Kong, where I now live. It worked like always staright away and brought back many memories of my teenage years.

Sadly after only two months of nostalgia, I was horrified to discover that the stainless steel coffee filter insert cup had disappeared following a party. I suspect that an unknowing but helpful guest discharged the coffee grounds in to the bin along with the cup.

I am now devastated and desperately searching for a replacement. I realise that the part is probably over 25 years old, but hope that someone, somewhere can lead me in the direction of a replacement, so that I can once again continue to enjoy the fantastic coffee and wonderful memories that my Russell Hobbs provides.

Best wishes

Gillian
    Hong Kong

15. Judy Truby
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I have had a Russell Hobbs Electric Tea Kettle now for at least 25 years. Still works well with the exception of the spout. That is about ready to fall off. I will be so sad when that finally happens. Here in the USA, its not always easy to get such a good product.

16. Posted January 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I have had a Russell Hobbs Electric Tea Kettle for 30 years. My father had bought it from Dubai. It was doing well but now its heat element has fallen off . We are so sad because we have not found its spare part in Pakistan . Kindly inform us about your agent or dealer in Pakistan. We shall be highly obliged to you for this.

• Russell Hobbs
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Thank you for your comment Atifa. We are sorry to hear that and will look into this for you. We have your contact details now, so a member of our customer service team will be in touch with you shortly.

Kind regards.

17. Jess
    Posted February 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I had a Russell Hobbs classic coffee percolator, in chrome relly art deco in style, and miss it so much! Please please please start making these again and let me know when you do, I will be your first customer! From searching for one online (to no avail) I have found i’m not the only one who has the same wish, Jess x

• Russell Hobbs
      Posted February 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your feedback Jess, this is something that we’ll put forward to our New Product Development team.

Kind regards.

• Dafydd Williams
        Posted March 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

I too would love to buy a Russel Hobbs Coffee Percolator and seriously think RH should get ahead of the curve and re-introduce a model .There clearly is demand for one. Dualit have one but I am sure your team can come up with a more elegant design drawing inspiration from your previous manufacturing experience. I think you should look at the CP3 model as the ceramic body affords more possibilities for decorative design as well as a Chrome/stainless version. It must have water level indicator on the outside and be cordless so it can be taken to the table. The tube must be sprung to raise the basket after use as in your last model and both basket and tube must be made of stainless steel. Come on RH you can do it! Bring back the percolator.

• Russell Hobbs
          Posted March 3, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Hi Dafydd,

Thank you very much for your comment. We love your idea of Russell Hobbs bringing back a Percolator but with a more modern feel, we’ll put this forward to our New Product Development team in our next monthly meeting.

Many thanks

The Russell Hobbs team

• Ray Fryer
            Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

HI there,
            From the feedback I too feel you should re-introduce a perculator. We still have a CP2 wedgewood ceramic perc’ which I would like to redeem its features if only I could find the unique power cable which comes with this model. Any ideas?
            Regards
            Ray Fryer

18. Sophie Wagen
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I currently use a wonderful Russell Hobbs stainless steel kettle which I can date as being 49 years old as it was one of 3 identical ones given to my parents for their wedding – and they celebrate their Golden Wedding anniversary this August! Sadly, it’s on its last legs now and leaking on the spout – are advise on getting it repaired?? I absolutely love it and would be devastated to see it go!
    Best wishes,
    Sophie Wagen

• Russell Hobbs
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Hello Sophie,

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to hear that and will look into this for you. We have your contact details now, so a member of our customer service team will be in touch with you shortly.

Kind regards.

19. David
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

My Russell Hobbs K2 kettle was bought for me by my mother at Woolworths in Galashiels in 1977, to accompany me to university that autumn.

It was in use until the mid-1990s, and then went into storage.

I’ve just retrieved it (Feb 2011) and it still boils water and switches off perfectly well – except that after boiling it’s hours (literally) before the red “on” button will stay depressed and water can be boiled again, i.e. without the need to keep holding the button down with one’s finger.

Can this be fixed..?

• Russell Hobbs
      Posted April 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Hello David,

Thank you for your e-mail, however because this model is over 30yrs old, we are sorry that we would not be able to repair this product as there are no spares available for it.

We are however bringing the 4101-10 back out which is very similar. This will not be released until August, if you care to contact us around the end of August we may be able to advise you further.

Kind regards,

• Clarisa Butler
        Posted April 8, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

I have exactly the very same problem. A k2s kettle which has started to leak from spout joint. Would you be able to weld it back? Thank you so much.

20. Kathleen Park
    Posted April 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I have two kettles that need repair-I just can’t bear to toss them out. One of them works(L237S) but doesn’t boil the water – and the other just stopped working this week (C3026). I just love these kettles and would love to know if they can be repaired.

• Russell Hobbs
      Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Hello Kathleen,

Kind regards.

21. Posted May 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

We were given matching black Wedgewood coffee perculator and hot milk jug as a wedding present in 1971. As far as we know thay are still in perfect condition and much loned but the special mains leads have died and we cannot find a replacement.

• Russell Hobbs
      Posted May 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Hello John,

Many thanks for your comment, unfortunately we no longer manufacturer Coffee Percolators or their associated spare parts. We have had many requests for Russell Hobbs to bring back the Coffee Percolator and we have passed these over to our product development team. Let’s hope we do have a revival in the near future! Until hopefully then the only thing we would suggest is keeping your eye open in charity shops or car boot sales for a replacement mains lead.

Thanks

The Russell Hobbs team

• G A FRANCIS
        Posted February 11, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

See my reply to similar post by Graham Goodwin on Dec 17th 2013

22. Kate T
    Posted March 9, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I am the owner of a retangular satin stainless steel coffee percolator that was bought as a wedding present in 1971.
    It like many others I hear of it is still in working order.
    I am sad to say the connecting lead has worn out. I have tried locate a replacement lead but to no avail. I have discovered on one of the most popular internet selling sites that you have to be prepared to bid quite alot of money for the same model as mine, and they are so popular they are snapped up so quickly!
    It is the best coffee maker I have ever used and makes excellent hot coffee. In these days of vintage and retro design and because of the obvious demand for this great product it may be well worth trying to reintroduce this great coffee percolator. I’d buy one !

23. Posted June 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I think that this product was far ahead of it’s times and was too well made that RH won’t bring it back,these new crazy put together coffee machines we have now will end up back of the kitchen cupboard .I have had the lot and wasted so much money but each new fangled product just does not cut it with my Stainless Kettle the smell draws my neighbours every time.Just cannot get rid of the m
    Chris (dont you just love the sound ;-)

24. Posted July 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Dear Russell Hobbs

You may be interested to know that your classic kettle and coffee percolators can fetch a fair bit on ebay these days (worth checking out for anyone wishing to sell, acquire or find replacement parts).

Youngsters like myself appreciate the quality build, the classic design & in some instances the nostalgic value & vintage style – which is incredibly fashionable, set to remain so for some time & will in any case always be a market as there is a dearth of ATTRACTIVE, CLASSIC appliances.
    It’s not just the past, Russell Hobbs, it’s the future, too!

I have just acquired a ceramic percolator & milk warmer set, with a fantastic funky 70′s design of orange flowers. I absolutely love them!
    The coffee pot works more like an espresso machine – & since the coffee passes through the grounds but does not stew for too long, the coffee does not get horribly bitter, the way some of the old percolators did.
    Milk warmer is extremely useful too, I am delighted to find.

Daffyd is completely right – update & bring it back, making it properly classic & attractive in the way that the original ceramic ones were. Bring back the kettles, too. Give that man a job! (I’d be an excellent design consultant, copy writer etc.. for the relaunch by the way)!

I’d absolutely buy a k2 if you brought it back – as near as identical as possible. it is a bona fide design classic – indeed an archetype. That is something for Russel Hobbs to be really proud of.
    Though there are half hearted attempts at classic style kettles, no one is doing it properly.

I am also shortly to recieve a Russell Hobbs Chelsea Teamaker, which I want for convenience, fun, & also for the totally fantastic, stylish & economical design.

Reading the comments here – isn’t it interesting what affection is expressed for these small appliances, & the values they seem to embody (service, dependability, classic handsome looks, comfort & more). How Very British!

I raise my 70′s meakin poppy cup of Russell Hobbs percolated coffee (with warmed milk) to the other posters here.

Cheers!

25. Anita Davis
    Posted December 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

We bought our chrome R.H Coffee perculator around 1985 in the south of west australia. It has worked faithfully for all those years and is still plugged in everymorning for our breakfast coffee. The small glass bubble on the top is minus one of its little catches and the lead survived allmost catching on a hot stove thankfully.I did spot one of the same in a second hand shop a few years ago in very good condition and have since regreted not buying it ,so they are around ,life would just not be the same without my trusty R.H.perc

26. Heather Gordon
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Hi I have a K2 kettle that I bought in 1987. It is in pefect condition – it looks brand new. The element however had some corrosion on it – i clean it with kettle lime cleaner and the silvery metal has come off the element along with the corrosion. I love the shape of my kettle – is there anywhere in NZ that I can purchase a new element?

27. Posted March 15, 2013 at 9:18 am | Permalink

The first… and only… electric kettle my parents bought in the early 70′s was a shiny Chromed K2, so it’s very much the kettle I remember growing up. A few years later working at a little repair shop I learned a lot more about them by changing elements and switches… people didn’t throw faulty kettles away in those days, they had them repaired and the K2 was well worth repairing. In a new century and almost 40 years later, I bought a new kettle which only lasted two years before leaking. So I bought another new kettle (different type but neither were Russell Hobbs) and after two years that started leaking. So… thanks to a well known auction site I am now the proud owner of a shiny Chromed K2 kettle which after a little polishing sparkles like new and still switches off when it boils perfectly. It has lasted over 40 years already and I don’t think I will need to buy any more kettles now!

• Posted March 16, 2014 at 12:07 am | Permalink

Hi you say you used to replace elements on the K2 can you give me instructions on how to do it as I have a new element but don’t know how to put it in, I love my shiney old kettle and want to use it again after retrieving it from storage in the loft!! many thanks, look forward to your reply, regards, Carol

28. Sarah Briggs
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 8:04 am | Permalink

K2 Kettle Made in Christchurch New Zealand

Hi

I have my Grandmothers K2 Kettle, which my Dad thinks is probably from the early to mid 70s. My grandmother at the time lived in the tiny settlement of Te Onepu, near Kawerau, in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. It spent 20 years in storage, in my parents attic and was rediscovered when they moved house. I have used it constantly for the last 2 1/2 years and it so much better than any newer model I have ever owned. Faster and quiter, I would not give it up for love or money.

Unfortunately my 8 year old, who was valiantly cooking her own breakfast, at the weekend, boiled it while dry, I guess destroying the element. In my attempt to remove the element I dismantled most of the handle and switches and at this point decided I needed to look on the internet for help. I found your wondrful website and though I would not give up my jug I could really do with a copy of the original instruction manual.

I would be very intrested if you could tell me when this was made and by who.

The bottom of the jug says

Vapour Controlled
    Automatic Electric Kettle
    Produced in New Zealand
    under licence from
    Russell Hobbs
    Type K2 Capacity 3 Pints
    App. NV75348
    Made by C.S. A?????? (cannot read this part)
    Ltd Christchurch

Would love to hear from you, was very excited on reading your website or please email instruction manual. I need to get my beloved jug back together and going.

Thanks Sarah

29. jo mayor
    Posted July 7, 2013 at 10:34 am | Permalink

I was given a stainless steel coffee percolator when I left my first teaching post in 1976. I use it all the time & friends comment how much nicer coffee tastes when it’s been “perked”, and of course it stays hot once it’s ready.
    I moved to Cyprus in 2001 and do lots of entertaining out here and still use it regularly.
    However . . . disaster!! The wooden handle has cracked and I’m afraid that one day soon it will break and I won’t be able to use my percolator any more. This is such a shame as otherwise it works perfectly. I don’t suppose I can find a replacement handle since as I’ve seen on this blog that RH no longer manufacture coffee percolators. :(

30. Deirdre Sharp
    Posted September 18, 2013 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Our black Wedgwood ceramic percolator dates from 1969 and was our main wedding present. It hasn’t been used for a long while as the element seems to have failed, but both as a precious memento and a design classic it is treasured. While it worked it made great coffee,

D

• G A FRANCIS
      Posted February 11, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Check with an electrician to see how easy it is to replace the element then consider buying a similar pot from ebay and swapping over. Usually several for sale for a few pounds only.

31. Posted December 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Hello!
    I was fortunate to rescue a K2 from a local charity thrift store just today and have had fun reading about peoples experiences and loyalty!
    My new friend is in fantastic shape and boiled very quickly when brought home and tested.
    Is there a way to use the Serial Number 3743147 to determine the age?
    thank you! Best Regards ~ Jeff

32. graham goodwin
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 6:26 am | Permalink

It seems that there are a lot of people about with a well loved CP2 coffee pot but the power cable has been lost/ damaged
    Is there nowhere in the world that replacement cables can be bought and, if not, why don’t RH commission a small firm in China to make them?

• G A FRANCIS
      Posted February 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

These lovely coffee pots are often for sale on Ebay for a few pounds only. Large numbers were made so still plentiful. Worth buying one just to get the power lead and keep the pot as a spare in case you drop yours

• G A FRANCIS
      Posted March 10, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

My CP 2 percolator has now gone to the coffee pot heaven and can not be brought back to life. the power lead is in good condition and I will sell it for a reasonable price and put the money towards another pot. (plenty on Ebay )

33. Noeleen Hickey
    Posted January 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Hi

I too have the ceramic blue Wedgewood coffee percolator, it was bought by me as an anniversary present for my parents in 1974, I have since inherited it and use it still. It makes the perfect coffee and keeps coffee warm for ages. My daughter has her eye on it now…but not just yet, maybe you could bring back this lovely product as has been suggested.

Regards Noeleen.

34. G A FRANCIS
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Hi
    I have a russell hobbs coffee percolator (CP2) with lovely Wedgwood ceramics. I use it all the time but the metal heating area at the bottom of the pot and also the metal basket are stained by the years of use. What is the best way to clean these as I am reluctant to use any chemicals in case of damage.
    Regards
    Graham

35. Jamie Hobbs
    Posted March 8, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Fantastic to read all the above comments, I am sure that both Bill Russell and my father would have been delighted. As it is I still use a K2 daily, although I am in need of a couple of elements to repair my spare kettles.
    All the best
    Jamie Hobbs

• Posted March 16, 2014 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Hi I saw your message and I too needed elements for my 2 old K2 after getting in the loft and discovering them after a move 20years ago, Ive had them since the 70s!!the element cost approx £9.50 with free delivery from e-bay, however I have no installation instructions and wondered where I could get them?? Good luck with your K2S iconic and very beautiful in any kitchen! regards, Carol

36. Posted March 22, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

As I write this, my husband has just finished fixing our beloved K2 kettle (stainless finish). We got it 35 years ago when we married and it has done sterling service ever since. It has just received its second new element (note to others: you CAN still buy spares from several companies on the net)The leaking spout seems to be common – my husband has just re-soldered ours and it looks like new. I am lucky to be married to an engineer, everything gets fixed in our house. (Though, on the down side, I have to fight for anything new.) But I am so happy that Russell has been resuscitated, as no substitute would do. What nasty plastic jug kettle could possibly compete with his clean lines, his distinguished looks? He’s a design classic, a presence in the kitchen, a total treasure! He lives to boil another day!

37. Diane Bennett
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 5:33 am | Permalink

Hello,
    In 1979/80 my late husband bought me a Russell Hobbs Type K2 Kettle that switched itself off as I kept boiling my other dry. This is the best kettle I have ever had, the chrome on it is still just great. It pours beautifully & has never leaked, better than any other and is good to look at. Unfortunately I cannot replace the element in New Zealand. If you are able to supply them for my K2 type Kettle I would appreciate two of them. I really have never seen another that has such a classical look and is so well made, not of the throw away variety. Made by
    CS Aencies Ltd, Christchurch. I also have two Russell Hobbs toasters one still in its box.

Leave a comment...

Share |
Return to News
Powered by WordPress. Built on the Thematic Theme Framework.